Spring is one of the most popular times to buy and sell properties in Northern Ireland. Flowers are in bloom, the days are a little longer and potential buyers are looking for their new home to move into by Summer.
It may still be winter, but if you’re considering putting your property on the market this spring, there are a few things you can do now to prepare your home.
Here’s our list of the top ten things you should be doing now to get your home ready for a spring sale.
1.Give your property an early “spring clean”. From windows to inside cupboards, a top to bottom clean is a great way to prepare your home for sale.
2. Give the gardens a once over including weeding, removing dead plants, planting some new plants in empty spaces and adding some colour ensure your home looks as good on the outside as it does on the inside.
3. Look after those long-term maintenance issues you’ve been putting off – fix up any peeling paint, replace carpets if they are worn through, replace cracked tiles, clean grout and replace any roof tiles that are cracked or missing.
4. Declutter by donating or disposing of any items you no longer need – childrens toys, unused furniture, paperwork, items of clothing etc.
5. Open the windows to get the fresh air flowing through the house. This will help get rid of any smells that may have built up over winter. Keep an eye out for any mould or mildew that may have built up on windows, window frames, extractor fans or lights and give it a good clean.
6. If you have pets it might be a good idea to get your carpets professionally cleaned to give your house a nice fresh look and smell.
7. Have you already moved out of the property and is it sitting vacant? If so, consider adding some life to your property by leaving some items of furniture in it if you can. This will give it a homely and 'lived-in' feeling and you can transform some pieces by using throw rugs or cushions to give your home an affordable “makeover”. Ensure your property is looking it’s best with furniture and accessories for professional photos and for viewings once it goes onto the market.
8. If you have a friend or family member that is good at giving their honest opinion, why not ask them to come over and cast their eye over your home? They may be able to pick up on things you’ve missed, such as a cracked tile in the bathroom or a dusty light shade!
9. Contact Rodgers and Browne to arrange a free valuation.
10. Once you're happy with everything and your ready to put your property onto the market then it’s time for photos. It’s always good to do a quick once over prior to photos, ensuring everything is tidy, clean and in place.
Selling a home can be a stressful time for many, but with some early preparation and careful planning, your home will be in tip top shape and may just fetch a higher sale price than you're expecting.
Contact our office today on 028 9042 1414 to arrange your free valuation